If you have an oversized load to move, pilot car service is critical. With pilot car service, an escort car leads the way as your heavy haul cargo is transported from point A to point B. A pilot car driver works with the person driving an oversized load. Together, both drivers work ensure that oversized loads make it to their destinations safely. Essentially, a pilot car serves as a warning to others on the road that an oversized load is coming through.
There are several things a pilot car accomplishes when accompanying a heavy haul transportation carrier. The driver of a pilot car typically has the following responsibilities:
• Warning other drivers that the oversized load is on the road
• Blocking lanes when necessary
• Signaling the oversized load driver when he can safely change lanes
• Letting the heavy haul transportation driver know whether it's safe to drive onto a narrow bridge
• Evaluating whether an oversized load can safely enter a tunnel or start moving around a curve
• Letting the driver know if there is an obstruction in the road ahead of him
Escort, Pilot and Pole Cars
When you need heavy haul transportation and the services of an escort car, pilot car or pole car, call on us at ATS Specialized for help. We have more than 55 years of experience moving the most challenging loads. Arrange heavy hauls by phoning us at (800) 668-5652, sending a fax to (320) 255-7419, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For flatbed specialized hauling services, call us at (800) 328-2316 or send a fax to (320) 255-7494.